To be eligible to enroll in online courses offered by Missouri Western State University, you must pass the test below with a score of 100%. You are only required pass this test once. You can take it as many times as necessary to achieve a score of 100%. You cannot back up once you have started. If you answer any questions incorrectly, you will need to re-start the test from the beginning.
Online courses often require significant communication with peers and the instructor, not just exams. To the extent that you are not comfortable exchanging ideas in writing, you may be at a disadvantage in an online course.
Online courses rely more on writing than verbal exchanges. Thus, writing skills are important in online courses.
Online courses often have group chats. If chats are graded components of classes you wish to enroll in, be aware of your skills in this area.
Online courses require self-motivation and discipline to meet course deadlines.
Without regular face-to-face meeting times, online courses require good time management.
If you don’t deal well with technology-related obstacles, online courses may not be the best option for you. When things go wrong, you need to be pro-active in finding solutions.
Go to Cnet Internet Speed Test and run the test at least three times.
If you have less than 512 Kbps, you will have trouble viewing videos that your course MAY include. Preferably, your bandwidth should be at least 1.5 Mbps. If you have low bandwidth, you should communicate with the instructors for your desired online courses to determine if the courses make routine use of video clips.
If you cannot hear the audio, you may not have a sound card in your computer, you may not have speakers or earphones, and/or may not have your audio turned on or volume turned up.
You MAY need to have audio to participate in your desired online courses.
If you do not have an appropriate player, you can click on the links above to download free applications.
To determine your browser name and version:
Windows machines should have Windows XP SP2, or a more current operating system (e.g., Windows 7 or Windows 8).
Macs should have OS X (version 10.6 or higher preferred).
To determine your operating system version:
If you do not know how to attach documents and download attachments this will help in almost all cases.
If you do not have a current office suite, you can purchase Microsoft Office from an online/local retailer, or download Apache Open Office free of charge.
If you do not know how to use the programs in the Office Suite, refer to the Help documentation that accompanies the program.
If you do not know how to save documents in Microsoft Office format complete the following in most cases, or refer to the Help documentation that accompanies the program.
If you do not have a pdf reader, download Adobe Reader for free.
If you do not have a webcam, purchase one from a local store that sells computer accessories, or online from a number of retailers.
1. I know that succeeding in online courses will be easier if I am comfortable expressing my opinion in writing to my peers and instructors?Show Me More
2. I know that succeeding in online courses will be easier if I am able to express my opinion in writing so that others understand what I mean?Show Me More
3. I know that succeeding in online courses will be easier if I can work well in a group and can actively contribute my fair share to conversations, including the evaluation of other people’s ideas?Show Me More
4. Success in online courses will be easier if I am good at completing tasks independently (i.e., I don't need others to encourage or remind me to complete assignments)?Show Me More
5. Success in online courses will be easier if I have good time management skills?Show Me More
6. Success in online courses will be easier if I do not give up easily when confronted with technology-related obstacles (e.g., Internet connection issues, difficulty with downloads, difficulty with locating information, unable to contact instructor immediately, etc.)?Show Me More
7. What is your internet connection bandwidth rate?Show Me More
8. After viewing the "Perfect Griffon" - MWSU Commercial video, how much “freedom” goes into the MWSU recipe?Show Me More
9. Many online courses require access to videos. In the video referenced above, what color is the tea pot?Show Me More
10. What internet browser are you using? (both name and version)Show Me More
11. What operating system does your computer have? (both name and version)Show Me More
12. Do you know how to attach files to e-mails and how to download attachments received in e-mails?Show Me More
13. I can open, edit and save documents using an office suite on my computer or online (e.g., Microsoft Office, Google Docs, or Open Office).Show Me More
14. I can save documents in Microsoft Office format (.doc,.docx), even if I use a different office suite (eg. Open Office, iWork).Show Me More
16. I know that for many of my online courses I will be required to have a Web cam to allow video proctoring of some course exams I will take using my computer, and I realize that this camera can be built into my computer or be an add-on item plugged into my computer.Show Me More
By checking this box I verify that I am , and agree to the statement below.
I own or have access to a computer on a daily basis and this computer has a current generation browser, a sound card, a current operating system, a video player, an office suite, a pdf reader, and sufficient bandwidth for online courses. If your answer is “no” to any of the above, STOP, secure the necessary items, and retake this test at a later date.
Thank you for taking the Distance Education Readiness Assessment. Your submission has been recorded.
Missouri Western Home Page